Words 11.3.22

 Words Once A Week          11.3.22

Some introductory thoughts on some of the lectionary texts for this Sunday - Nov 6, 2022  (Proper 27)


(and just some of my initial thoughts this week.  And I might not make it for next week – we are going to be gone - )


Haggai 1:15b-2:9 

+ vs2:3 “Who is left among you that saw this house in its former glory? How does it look to you now? Is it not in your sight as nothing?”  Wow – an interesting word for the church (and country) today in a couple of different ways.  How does it strike you?  Interesting that the “Daily Dig” email bit from Plough this morning was a piece by William Willimon about how the disciples were essentially “yokels”.

+ God will “shake the nations” so that the silver and gold will come to Israel – kind of like tipping someone over and shaking the money out of their pockets!  On the other hand, maybe it’s time to pass on the silver and gold and go right to the other “rare earth metals” used in batteries!


Job 19:23-27a  from the alternate track, just because we don’t often read from Job

+ “O that my words were written down on rock, in lead, with an iron pen…”  My words are written down on flash drives and in the cloud.  Don’t know which is more permanent.  I remember one writer talking about how in the early days he was always concerned to get everything copy-writed and protected, then in later years he felt like standing on the street corner and trying to give his pages away to anyone who would read them.  Some of both in me, I guess.

+ then I spent an hour or so this week trying to take the “write protected” property off of some labels!

+ I know that my Redeemer lives!


Luke 20:27-38

+ the Sadducees – they were “sad, you see” – because they didn’t believe in the resurrection. Of course this was before Jesus rose.  (Or did the story maybe come from after the Resurrection?  I don’t know; I’ll have to look that up.)

+ Anyway, “One bride for seven brothers” – and if she has anything to say about it, she is not going to be anyone’s wife in heaven!  (Or maybe that’s to cynical a view of marriage – maybe she would enjoy being with all seven!  Let’s hope so!)

+ what do we think about the resurrection?  About an afterlife?



That’s what I got for now……..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words 2.5.23